Public Safety Officers
Total Number of Public Safety Officers, by Agency
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
All data are from the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. The total number of Public Safety Officers accounts for all sworn full-time and reserve personnel, which may include (but is not limited to) Police Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, Commanders, Corporals, Lieutenants, Sergeants, Police Officers, Detectives, Detention Officers/Supervisors, Sheriffs, Undersheriffs, Captains, and Assistant Sheriffs; it does not include Community Service Officers or other non-sworn (civilian) police department personnel. All city, county and school district departments in Silicon Valley are included. Data does not include California Highway Patrol officers. 2019 data were as of July 1, 2019. The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department share of Silicon Valley public safety officers includes those serving Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Woodside; the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department share of Silicon Valley public safety officers includes those serving Cupertino, Los Altos Hills, and Saratoga. The total number of public safety agencies include those with full-time sworn or reserve personnel. Population growth is from the California Department of Finance, E-4 Population Estimates.
This chart does not have any footnotes.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
- California Department of Justice
- California Open Data Portal
- FBI Crime Reporting Statistics
- Public Policy Institute of California, Data Depot
- Safe Routes to School
- San Mateo County Dispatch Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- Santa Clara County EMS Reports
- Social Progress Imperative