Time Lost to Traffic Congestion
Annual Delay and Excess Fuel Consumption per Peak Auto Commuter
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data is from the Texas A&M Transportation Institute, Urban Mobility Information. The Urban Mobility Scorecard data is based on actual travel speed, free-flow travel speed, vehicle volume, and vehicle occupancy. The methodology is available at http://d2dtl5nnlpfr0r.cloudfront.net/tti.tamu.edu/documents/mobility-scorecard-2015-appx-a.pdf. The value of travel delay for 2014 (estimated at $17.67 per hour of person travel and $94.04 per hour of truck time) and excess fuel consumption estimated using state average cost per gallon. Commuters include private vehicle owners only. The Number of Rush Hours represents the time when the road system might have congestion.
This chart does not have any footnotes.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- Altamont Corridor Express (ACE)
- California Department of Transportation
- California Energy Almanac
- California Energy Commission
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority
- U.S. Census Bureau
- VTA Bike Paths and Routes in Santa Clara County