Median Rental Rates
Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties, San Francisco, California, and the United States
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data for Median Rent List Price is from Zillow Real Estate Research (data downloaded December 24, 2019). Median Apartment Rental Rates include multifamily complexes with five or more units. Some data for specific rental types were not available for the full year of 2011 or 2012. Rental rates for 2019 are based on data through November. Rental rates have been rounded to the nearest dollar, and have been inflation-adjusted and are reported in 2019 dollars using the Bay Area consumer price index for all urban consumers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for Silicon Valley and San Francisco data, 2019 estimate based on January-August, the California consumer price index for all urban consumers from the California Department of Finance May Revision Forecast (April 2019) for California data, and the U.S. city average consumer price index for all urban consumers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Silicon Valley Median Rent was estimated using a weighted average of Santa Clara and San Mateo County rental rates, using population data from the California Department of Finance. Median Apartment Rental Rates Per Square Foot are based on list price.
*Based on data through November.
Apartments include multifamily complexes with five or more units.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Association of Realtors
- California Homebuilding Foundation/Construction Industry Research Board
- California Open Data Portal
- HUD Exchange
- Milken Institute
- MTC Vital Signs
- National Association of Homebuilders
- San Jose Economic Development Dashboard
- Santa Clara County Association of Realtors, Housing Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Zillow Real Estate Research