Venture Capital Investment
Silicon Valley and San Francisco
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data for 2000-2016 are from the MoneyTree™ Report from PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture Capital Association, using data from CB Insights (beginning with Q4 2015) and Thomson Reuters (prior to Q4 2015). 2017 and 2018 data are from Thomson ONE as of January 2, 2019. Silicon Valley includes the city-defined region. All values have been inflation-adjusted and are reported in 2018 dollars using the Bay Area consumer price index for all urban consumers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for Silicon Valley and San Francisco data, 2018 estimate based on January-August, the California consumer price index for all urban consumers from the California Department of Finance May Revision Forecast (April 2018) for California data, and the U.S. city average consumer price index for all urban consumers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, annual estimate based on first half data. Megadeals include those over $100 million each.
This chart does not have any footnotes.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- Bay Area Council Economic Institute
- CB Insights
- Center for the Continuing Study of the California Economy
- Collaborative Economics
- FactSet Research Systems, Inc.
- Kauffman Index
- Marin Economic Consulting, LLC
- Moody’s Economy.com
- National Establishment Time Series (NETS, from Don Walls & Assoc)
- National Venture Capital Association
- PricewaterhouseCoopers/National Venture Capital Association MoneyTreeTM Report
- Renaissance Capital
- Small Business Innovation and Technology Awards
- U.S. Census Bureau
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office