Substantiated Cases of Child Abuse per 1,000 Children
Silicon Valley and California
Child maltreatment data are from the California Children’s Services Archive, CWS/CMS 2012 Quarter 1 Extract. Data are downloaded from the Center for Social Services Research at the University of California at Berkeley. Population Data Source: California Department of Finance annual population projections (1998-2011 calculations based on 2000 and 2010 Census data). Child and Family Services staffing data for Santa Clara County are from Santa Clara County yearly budget reports located on the Santa Clara County Public Portal. San Mateo County data are from San Mateo County’s Human Service Agency.
The recent decline in cases from 2007 to 2010 can be explained in part by large funding cuts in social services programs for children. Social services employee figures are reported by fiscal year.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
- California Department of Justice
- FBI Crime Reporting Statistics
- Public Policy Institute of California, Data Depot
- Safe Routes to School
- San Mateo County Dispatch Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- Santa Clara County EMS Reports