Percent of Households with Housing Costs Greater than 35% of Income
Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties, San Francisco, California, and the United States
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data for owners’ and renters’ housing costs are from the United States Census Bureau, American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates. This indicator measures the share of owners and renters spending 35% or more of their monthly household income on housing costs. Renter data are calculated percentages of gross rent to household income in the past 12 months. Owner data are calculated percentages of selected monthly owner costs to household income in the past 12 months. Owners data are solely based on housing units with a mortgage. According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, housing costs greater than 30% of household income pose moderate to severe financial burdens.
This chart does not have any footnotes.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Association of Realtors
- California Homebuilding Foundation/Construction Industry Research Board
- Milken Institute
- San Jose Economic Development Dashboard
- Santa Clara County Association of Realtors, Housing Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Zillow Real Estate Research