Average Household Size & Additional Units Needed to Accommodate Population Growth
Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties
Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data for average household size and number of households are from the California Department of Finance, E-5 Population and Housing Estimates. Data for residential units in building permits issued are from the Construction Industry Research Board and California Homebuilding Foundation. Silicon Valley data includes Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties. Additional Units Needed to Accommodate Population Growth are calculated as the Households Needed to Accommodate Growth minus the Number of Residential Units in Building Permits Issued. Households Needed to Accommodate Growth are calculated as the change in population (using data from the California Department of Finance, E-4 Population Estimates for January 1 of each year) divided by the average household size from that year. The 2016 estimate of residential units in building permits issued is based on data through November.
This chart does not have any footnotes.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Association of Realtors
- California Homebuilding Foundation/Construction Industry Research Board
- Milken Institute
- San Jose Economic Development Dashboard
- Santa Clara County Association of Realtors, Housing Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Zillow Real Estate Research