Percentage of Potential First-Time Home Buyers That Can Afford to Purchase a Median-Priced Home
Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, and Other California Regions
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data are from the California Association of Realtors’ (CAR) First-time Buyer Housing Affordability Index, which measures the percentage of households that can afford to purchase an entry-level home in California based on the median price of existing single family homes sold from CAR’s monthly existing home sales survey. Beginning in the first quarter of 2009, the Housing Affordability Index incorporates an effective interest rate that is based on the one-year, adjustable-rate mortgage from Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey.
*2016 data reflects Q1-3.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- California Association of Realtors
- California Homebuilding Foundation/Construction Industry Research Board
- Milken Institute
- San Jose Economic Development Dashboard
- Santa Clara County Association of Realtors, Housing Statistics
- Santa Clara County Department of Public Health City & Neighborhood Profiles
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Zillow Real Estate Research