Venture Capital Investment in Clean Technology
Billions of Dollars Invested, and Share of California & U.S. Total Investment
Silicon Valley and San Francisco
Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
Data provided by Cleantech Group’s i3 Platform (i3.cleantech.com). For this analysis, venture capital is defined as disclosed cleantech equity investment deal totals. Silicon Valley data are based on Joint Venture’s city-defined region. The Cleantech Group describes “cleantech” as new technology, processes and business models, spanning a range of industries that enhance efficiency, reduce or eliminate negative ecological impact, and improve the productive and responsible use of natural resources. All values have been inflation-adjusted and are reported in 2016 dollars, using the Bay Area consumer price index for all urban consumers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016 estimate based on first half data for the Silicon Valley and San Francisco data.
*2016 data is for Q1-3.
Resources for Relevant Data and Reports (show)
- Bay Area Council Economic Institute
- CB Insights
- Center for the Continuing Study of the California Economy
- Collaborative Economics
- FactSet Research Systems, Inc.
- Marin Economic Consulting, LLC
- Moody’s Economy.com
- National Establishment Time Series (NETS, from Don Walls & Assoc)
- National Venture Capital Association
- PricewaterhouseCoopers/National Venture Capital Association MoneyTreeTM Report
- Renaissance Capital
- Small Business Innovation and Technology Awards
- U.S. Census Bureau
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office